Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Remembering Grandma Mary

On March 18th, my paternal grandmother, Mary, was finally not tired any more.  This was the woman the DEFIED all odds.  She had multiple open heart surgeries (two within hours of one another), and she described a grapefruit sized aneurysm in her chest as "a little pressure".  When we were told she might have 3-6 months to live, she bounced back and fought right through that timeline.  She had a wonderful, dry sense of humor, and I always loved hearing her stories!  She could crochet at a lightening fast speed (and couldn't slow down...believe me she tried when I attempted to have her teach me), but she didn't like to knit.  On Sunday we celebrated her 91 years, and on Monday, we said our final goodbyes in the midst of a late March snow storm that could have only been created for Mary who was born during a blizzard!  I can't really put into words the sadness I feel, but I will always be thankful that not only Bret and I but also our two kids were able to know her and have a relationship.  And, as Evan said at the funeral to my dad, "Grandma Mary died.  But, she is in heaven now."

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

grandma mary with my sister, kate (standing) and I
at bret and i's wedding
holding evan for the first time
holding gracie for the first time
celebrating her 91st birthday
evan and gracie modeling two of the hats and scarves that grandma mary made throughout the years

No comments:

Post a Comment