Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Our Budding Garden

Evan thoroughly enjoys watering our plants/flowers around the house, so I thought he might enjoy planting a little vegetable and fruit garden.  So, we picked up some seed packets one day and started planting.  I didn't really think much would grow from the seeds since we were a bit off of the growing season and in the middle of a drought, but I was wrong!  Not long after we planted the seeds a cantaloupe plant and several pea plants emerged.  Cilantro, basil and carrots are not champions thus far.   And since I took this picture, the bunny rabbit village (seriously, we have to have 100s visit our yard daily) ate the cantaloupe and all of the pea plants. Evan also accidentally beheaded another one.  Tough life in our garden ; ).  Next year we have lofty goals of a few raised beds full of fruits and veggies...I'm dreaming of smaller grocery budgets!
the baby cantaloupe plant...it had such promise until Peter Rabbit (or one of his 50 babies) ate it.

taking his gardening duties seriously!

and, since we had some success with a few plants outdoors, we planted some pepper seeds to start indoors (per the seed packet instructions).  WELL, for some reason, I thought you were supposed to plant several seeds in each hole because some of the seeds wouldn't grow.  So, I let E poke some holes in the soil and drop several seeds in each one.  Guess how many little pepper plants we have popping up out of this pot so far....TWENTY NINE.  If I transplanted all of them outside (and kept the rabbits away), we would have a pepper forest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment